THE FIRST DECADE (1969 - 1980)
- ICA - Institute of Communications Arts established,
Fr. F.X. McFarland SJ, Director. (1919 - 2003)
- 2 yrs / 4 semester / evening classes for PGs - Journalism, Radio, Cinema & TV
- ICA - Institute of Communications Arts established,
- Media Library open with 600 titles
- Public Relations and Advertising courses introduced
- 1st Indian TV series on Adult Education 'Aisi Aksharen Melveen'
A broadcasted joint venture between ICA and Doordarshan
- 1st Indian TV series on Adult Education 'Aisi Aksharen Melveen'
- ICA moves to the old college hostel on the campus and becomes XIC, Xavier Institute of Communications 150 students on the rolls
- 2- Track Sound Studio opened
- "Television for Adult Education" project. XIC produces TV serial 'Dnyandeep' for Doordarshan
- Fr. Anthony D'Souza SJ, Director
- Fr. Gerry D'Rozario SJ, Dean
- *XIC formulates a BA syllabus on communications for Bombay University, but it is not accepted
Set-up: Photography darkroom, Mini Theatre, Closed Circuit (B/W) TV studio
- Fr. Gerry Rosario SJ Director
- 4-track sound studio is opened
- AV workshops with International Films, Los Angeles and GIFTS (India)
- Anand Akerkar, course coordinator Public Relations (1979-83)
- Aughi Dalton, course coordinator (1979-85)
- Mediaworld - a media education program for schools launched - Fr. Myron J. Pereira, SJ. Coordinator
- Modular system of courses commence
- Certificate course in photography started
- AXIS, Film & Video production department
THE Second DECADE (1981 - 1990)
- John Macia, SJ, Dean, Jane Swamy and Jehangir Patel, members of the faculty in a pleasant moment
- A 35 mm film shooting exercise by Film Production students led by course coordinator Anju Daswani
- "Thank You for Coming" Audio Visual on St. Francis Xavier
- Roshan Vajifdar - Public Relations course coordinator
- "Wake-up Bombay" an Advertising students’ campaign for the BMC
- Workshops: Video Production; Announcing & Broadcasting; Public Speaking and Film Appreciation
- Govind Sajnani & Arvind Vinayak, Advertising & Marketing course coordinators
- "Partly True and Wholly False" - ASTHA produces a media kit on communal stereotypes
- AMS - Advanced Media Studies programme commences
- Seminar: "Communication Challenges in Asia" - The New World Information and Communication Order. ( In partnership with WACC & AMIC)
- 16-Track Sound Studio opened
- Launched Science Communications course
THE THIRD DECADE (1991 - 2000)
- XIC - 1st to conduct 3D Computer Graphics courses in India
- "Story of the Jesuits in South Asia" - Producer, XIC
- UCIP - Orientation Programme for 23 international Catholic journalists
- Media Library becomes Media Resource Centre (MRC)
- January: Fr. Gerry D’Rosario SJ, Director expires
- Fr. Joseph Velinker SJ, Director
- Spots on "Communal Harmony" telecast on Doordarshan
- Workshop: "Imaging Technologies '93" - In collaboration with Industrial Light and Magic Ltd. USA
- Seminar: "Media & National Unity" - with AMIC, Singapore
- Seminar: Health Communications: An Asian Perspective - In collaboration with Health Wrights / Princeton Health Care, London; World Health Organisation - Geneva
- Fr. Desmond D'Monte, SJ, Director
- "Lakh Malache Dhan" on Breastfeeding for UNICEF, Producer, AXIS
- Workshop: Radio Documentary, in collaboration with Independent Broadcasting Assoc. USA
- NACO Manual: Communication about STDs/AIDS, Producer, AXIS
- Management Advisory Board formed
- Marathi Journalism - basic course launched
- Conference: "From Classroom to Public Campaign" an all India conference hosted by Mediaworld
- "Xcell" XIC Newsletter released
- October: Fr. Desmond D’Monte, SJ, Director expires
- Fr. Myron J. Pereira, SJ, becomes Director,
- Online: XIC linked by email and Internet.
- Online: www.xaviercomm.org XIC web-site launched
- ‘Century of Fantasy’ - XIC Festival
- "In Search of Excellence" - a Staff development programme
- Best Student Award - PR, instituted by Procter & Gamble (I) Ltd
- Best Student Award - Journalism, instituted by P & G Ltd
THE FOURTH DECADE (2001 - 2010)
- Workshop: "Sheep In The Big City" Maurics (Mo) Willems, creator / writer / director, Cartoon Network, for Digital Media students
- Resource Kit: "Sahajeevan Shikshan" on Sexuality Education for Disadvantaged Children and Adolescents (Hindi)
- Resource Kit: "Vikas Kaushalyancha" on Skills Development for Rural Non-Formal Education" (Marathi), Producer, ASTHA-AXIS
- ‘Xpress’ Placement Service, launched
- Zain Verjee, Anchor, CNN, "Q & A South Asia" - addressed the students.
- Inaugurated 2nd Computer Lab with ten computers
- Advertising Campaign: Anti terrorism drive on the wake of the 9/11 U.S tragedy, Advertising & Marketing students
- Award to: Teesta Setalvad , Editor, ‘Communalism Combat’, Journalist and Peace Activist - the Fr. Parmananda Divarkar ‘Communication for Peace’ Award. Chief Guest, Cardinal Simon Pimenta
- Inaugurated: Cardinal Gracias Media Resource Centre, Elizabeth C. Braganza. Former Librarian - XIC
- Online: Telexic, Distance education. First module on News Reporting
- Workshop: "Soft skills in Human Relations" by Fr. Gordon Daniells SJ., for Corporate Houses
- Inaugurated: Film & Television Studio with state-of-the-art equipment by Fr. Myron. J. Pereira SJ, Director
- Talk: "Success in Business can be corruption-free" by Sir Gulam Noon, MBE, Queen Elizabeth II had knighted Mr. Noon for his services to England in commerce and industry
- Workshop: First cartooning workshop by Suresh Sawant, India-Editor of Witty World International Cartoon Centre
- All departments in the Institute were air-conditioned
- Consultation: "Media and Communal Conflict" with Sabrang to develop a Charter Alert for Media Personnel covering communal conflict
- Award: to Anand Patwardhan, Mumbai-based renowned activist, environmentalist, journalist and film maker, the Fr.Parmananda Divarkar Memorial Award "Communication for Peace". Chief Guest, Mr. Julio F. Ribeiro, IPS (Retd.), Ex-Commissioner of Police, Mumbai
- Competition: Peace In Our Time - on Cartooning
- First Student Directory was printed and distributed at the 33rd Annual Convocation
- " Conversational English" - classes begin - for XIC support staff
- Seminar: "Make Your Career in the Media" - a career awareness program by the Bombay Catholic Sabha on Career and Job opportunities, Fr. Myron addressed groups of Catholics in 3 areas of north Bombay
- Inauguration: XIC Gardens by Fr. Rudolf Heredia SJ, Rector
- Workshop: First Announcing Broadcasting Comparing and Dubbing in Marathi (ABCD)
- Fr. Francis Xavier (Packy) Mcfarland SJ, founder of XIC passed away at Fordham, New York. Memorial service at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai on 13th Sept. 2003
- Seminar: The Digital World - here and now : technology, society
- Seminar: "Innovation & Creative Solving" by Goodwin Vaz- International Consultant
- Workshop: "On Understanding our Students" for faculty and staff
- Ms Jane Swamy appointed Dean of Studies
- Inaugurated: Computer Lab extension by Fr. Joseph M. Carsi SJ
- Inaugurated: Library Documentation Room, 1st floor - by Ms Jane Swamy
- "Free Education" (Nursery 1 to 10 std) for children of XIC staff - Management Relief Fund
- Advanced Diploma in Advertising, Marketing & Communication (weekend program) begins
- Workshop: BMM Studies Educators Advanced skills
- Workshop: Time Management for staff by Vivienne D’Souza, HRD Consultant
- "Social Marketing Strategies" lecture by the Indian Association for Promotion of Adoption
- Seminar: "Pluralism and Democracy in Bollywood" on how Hindi Cinema looks at Indian Communities
- Symposium: "Make Communication Your Career" motivating students to pursue a career in mass media, sponsored by Citizen Credit Co-op. Bank, at St. Andrews Auditorium, Bandra
- Inaugurated: XIC Premises at St. Xavier’s High School Campus. by Prof. J.B. Mistry.
- Signed: Memorandum of Understanding with Deakin University of Australia.
- Workshop: "Global Media & Public Relations" by Profs. Grant Roff & Chris Hudson, of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia
- Workshop: "BMM Teacher Training" for English Dept lecturers of colleges
- Inaugurated: "32-Track and 16-Track Sound Studios" at the XIC School Campus
- Inaugurated: "Radio Lives" Communication Research Monographs Series inaugurated by Nerita Baptista, Smita Nair and Charlene Rodrigues, journalism students - released by Vijaya Laxmi Chhabra, Director, Marketing, Prasar Bharati (Doordarshan)
- *First Meeting on the International Standard Organization (ISO) certification for Evaluation of the Teaching System at XIC. Major General Ivan D’Cunha organized the programme
- Talk: "Multiculture as a vision for Equity and Social Justice" by Dr. Paul C. Gorski, Graduate School of Education, USA
- Talk: "Convergence, blogs and new media" by Prof. Stephen Quinn, Faculty of Arts, Deakin University
- Workshop: Film Documentary by Prof. Simon Wilmot, Deakin University, for Film and Video Production Students
- Alumni: First Alumni Meeting - Bangalore
- XPress organizes "Job Fair" - 95% students recruited through Mrs. Norma Rego, Manager, Finance and Administration
- Creative Writing Monographs: v.1 by journalism students 2004-06, released by Eunice de D’Souza, poet, editor and columnist
- Online: First Entrance Test for admissions to the academic year 2007- 08, at Attest Testing Centres all over India
- XIC and Toonskool Advanced Animation Academy, Bangalore, to conduct a one year diploma course in animation from June 2007
- Workshop: Technical Writing, a 3-month course by LionBridge / XIC
- *Global Connection: Between XIC and several foreign universities for exchange of ideas, systems, faculty and students. Deakin University, Melbourne . Jiao tong University’s School of Media and Design ( Shanghai ); Bristol School of Art and Design at the University of West England , and the University of Hertforshire ,UK
- Fr. Myron J. Pereira, Director of XIC, visited China as the leader of a delegation of journalism and communication schools of Indian Universities
- *Video Conference: On 3rd October the first video conferencing between faculty of XIC and faculty of St. Xavier's College, Kolkata took place: Theme: "Today's cyber culture and its consequences", followed by "Intellectual Property Rights / Ethical Copy Rights" on 20 Dec 2007, and "Bringing IT/ Internet Usage by Media students under a Scanner" on 21 Feb 2008
- Online: The XIC Alumni Directory at www.xxic.org came live on 10 January 2008 . Alumni registered themselves by using the Online XIC Alumni Directory Search
- Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ., Former Principal, St. Stanislaus School, Bandra, joins XIC as Associate Director
- Workshop: ‘Convergence and Connectivity’, for faculty and senior staff officials held on June 28. 2008 was two fold: practical, viz. to take stock of systems and processes related to professional training in the media, and interaction on how to keep pace with today’s technology
- UTV held Film Festival of World Cinema at XIC
- Shemaroo Movies hosted a festival of world films at XIC.
- Faculty Dinner: Fr. Myron announces his retirement and the appointment of Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ, new Director of XIC from June 1, 2009.
- 39th Annual Convocation was held on 24 April, The Chief Guest was Mr. Tom Alter, actor, writer, sports journalist.
- Certificates of appreciation were given on Convocation Day, to the longest serving members of the institution by the director Fr. Myron J. Pereira: Jane Swamy, Jehangir Patel and Vikas Desai (faculty), and Ashok Bane, Prabhakar Gurav, Nizam Pathan, Mohan Gangurde, Jeanne DeSa and Nivedita Bobade (staff).
- A Special award - the Revathy Gopal Creative Writing - was conferred on two alumni Maryann Lobo D’Mello(JR 84) & Ranjit Lal (JR 79), who distinguished themselves in creative writing. They both received a citation & prize money of Rs. 25,000/- each.
- On-line Admission Tests were held in six locations: Mumbai, Delhi, Goa, Kolkata, Ranchi, Ahmedabad and Pune.
- A Farewell was held for Fr. Myron J. Pereira SJ, former director, who retired on May 31, 2009
- On June 1, 2009 Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ, took over as new Director of XIC
- Orientation Program ( 1-3 July) Theme: Ready to Communicate Creatively?
- Fr. Anthony J. D’Souza SJ, Provincial of the Jesuit Bombay Province met with XIC Staff in an informal meeting.
- XIC received ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ from Deakin University for cooperation in delivering effective partnership in India.
- Teachers Day was celebrated in the institute for Staff and Course Coordinators.
- "Fleeting Moments" a photography exhibition by the JR 09-10 was held at NCPA. Bhavya Desai (JR 04), Editor, Asian Photography was the Chief Guest.
- United States- India Educational Foundation, Fulbright Scholar Dr. Jyotsna Kapur (Ex-Staff ASTHA) presented a lecture titled: Childhood’s End or a New beginning
- Former faculty & staff, the present faculty, staff and alumni, were invited to the ‘XIC - 40 Saal Baad’ dinner celebrations.
- Christmas Eve function was organized by the staff.
- Digital Animation Convocation was held on Jan 9, 2010
- In Jan, 'XIC Awards Nite' was organised by the PR students of the 09-10 batch. At the function, students, management, faculty and staff were recognised for their abilities and presented with tokens of appreciation under various categories.
- A lecture cum Exhibition on Photography by well known Brazilian Photographers - Orlando Azevedo and Vilma Slomp organised by the Consulate General of Brazil, in Mumbai, was held at XIC for the benefit of XIC photography students.
- XIC received the Dainik Bhaskar B-School Leadership Award for its innovative, modern and industry related curriculum in advertising. Fr. Lawrie Ferrao, Director - XIC received the award at an awards ceremony held on February 12, 2010, at Taj Lands End, Mumbai.
- Presiding at the 40th Annual Convocation were Chief Guest Mr. Joseph St. Anne, Producer - Director Multi-media, and Guest of Honour Mr. M.M. Somaya, Gen Mg, Brand & Public Relations - Bharat Petroleum.
- For the first time, students dressed in the traditional convocation robe to receive their diplomas. Every student was presented a CD on the activities of the institute, and the projects undertaken by them during the academic year 2009-10.
- In April, Alumni were offered membership to the facilities available at the Media Resource Centre (MRC).