THE FIRST DECADE (1969 - 1980)
- ICA - Institute of Communications Arts established,
Fr. F.X. McFarland SJ, Director. (1919 - 2003)
- 2 yrs / 4 semester / evening classes for PGs - Journalism, Radio, Cinema & TV
- ICA - Institute of Communications Arts established,
- Media Library open with 600 titles
- Public Relations and Advertising courses introduced
- 1st Indian TV series on Adult Education 'Aisi Aksharen Melveen'
A broadcasted joint venture between ICA and Doordarshan
- 1st Indian TV series on Adult Education 'Aisi Aksharen Melveen'
- ICA moves to the old college hostel on the campus and becomes XIC, Xavier Institute of Communications 150 students on the rolls
- 2- Track Sound Studio opened
- "Television for Adult Education" project. XIC produces TV serial 'Dnyandeep' for Doordarshan
- XIC moves to its present location on campus under the direction of Fr. Anthony D'Souza, S.J.
- Fr. Anthony D'Souza SJ, Director
- Fr. Gerry D'Rozario SJ, Dean
- *XIC formulates a BA syllabus on communications for Bombay University, but it is not accepted
Set-up: Photography darkroom, Mini Theatre, Closed Circuit (B/W) TV studio
- Fr. Gerry Rosario SJ Director
- 4-track sound studio is opened
- AV workshops with International Films, Los Angeles and GIFTS (India)
- Anand Akerkar, course coordinator Public Relations (1979-83)
- Aughi Dalton, course coordinator (1979-85)
- Mediaworld - a media education program for schools launched - Fr. Myron J. Pereira, SJ. Coordinator
- Several audio-visuals made at XIC set a standard for scripting and visualisation. Among them: The Giving Tree; Thank You for Coming (on St. Francis Xavier); No Sugar Tonight (on drug addiction); Kahani Nahanachi (on sexuality and childbirth). Also produced was a workbook on communal stereotypes Partly True and Wholly False, and audio-cassette and street-plays on stories about women, Streekatha.
- Modular system of courses commence
- Certificate course in photography started
- AXIS, Film & Video production department
THE Second DECADE (1981 - 1990)
- John Macia, SJ, Dean, Jane Swamy and Jehangir Patel, members of the faculty in a pleasant moment
- A 35 mm film shooting exercise by Film Production students led by course coordinator Anju Daswani
- "Thank You for Coming" Audio Visual on St. Francis Xavier
- Roshan Vajifdar - Public Relations course coordinator
- "Wake-up Bombay" an Advertising students’ campaign for the BMC
- Workshops: Video Production; Announcing & Broadcasting; Public Speaking and Film Appreciation
- Govind Sajnani & Arvind Vinayak, Advertising & Marketing course coordinators
- "Partly True and Wholly False" - ASTHA produces a media kit on communal stereotypes
- AMS - Advanced Media Studies programme commences
- The diploma courses in Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising and Film Production are enhanced with an Advanced Media Studies Programme, open to select students. A Sound Recording workshop is also introduced.
- "Communication Challenges in Asia", a 2-day workshop on the theme of the New World Information and Communication Order at XIC, in partnership with WACC, London and AMIC, Singapore (March 20-21).
- "House Journals for Editors", a 2-day workshop, in collaboration with PTI, New Delhi (April 9-10)
- Seminar: "Communication Challenges in Asia" - The New World Information and Communication Order. ( In partnership with WACC & AMIC)
- Kurt Lewenhak, Visnews, London, conducts an advanced video workshop. Workshop in Video-Umatic production, and editing introduced.
- 16-Track Sound Studio opened
- Launched Science Communications course
- Three research papers are prepared and awarded at the first Advanced Media Studies Programme Convocation, July 25.
- "Interpersonal Communication for Key Trainers", a 3-day workshop for the State Family Welfare Bureau, Pune.
THE THIRD DECADE (1991 - 2000)
- 1st batch of 3D Computer Graphics Course. XIC was the first to realize the importance of computer education in communications. The course provided a technical overview, practical application and hands-on practice. At the end of the five week course, each group produces a 5-second animation sequence. (20 July 1991).
- "Story of the Jesuits in South Asia" - Producer, XIC
- UCIP - Orientation Programme for 23 international Catholic journalists
- Media Library becomes Media Resource Centre (MRC)
- January: Fr. Gerry D’Rosario SJ, Director expires
- Fr. Joseph Velinker SJ, Director
- Five public service spots on "Communal Harmony" produced by the Film Students and accepted by Mr. C. Gurunath, Director of Doordarshan for telecast. (30 February 1993).
- Workshop: "Imaging Technologies '93" - In collaboration with Industrial Light and Magic Ltd. USA
- Seminar: "Media & National Unity" - with AMIC, Singapore
Fr. Desmond D'Monte, S.J. succeeds Fr. Joseph Velinkar, S.J. as director.
- SILVER JUBILEE YEAR
- Seminar: Health Communications: An Asian Perspective - In collaboration with Health Wrights / Princeton Health Care, London; World Health Organisation - Geneva
- Fr. Desmond D'Monte, SJ, Director
- "Lakh Malache Dhan" on Breastfeeding for UNICEF, Producer, AXIS
- Workshop: Radio Documentary in collaboration with Independent Broadcasting Asso. (Julian Crandal Hollick), USA, and MID-DAY, Bombay.
- NACO Manual: Communication about STDs/AIDS, Producer, AXIS
- Management Advisory Board formed
- Marathi Journalism - basic course launched
- On the sudden death of Fr. D'Monte in an accident (Oct.11),
- Fr. Myron J. Pereira, S.J., takes up the directorship.
- The Digital Media Group of XIC was invited to Sheridan College, Toronto, Canada. Sheridan College is one of the foremost art and communication institutes in the world. During the visit several possibilities were looked into, viz., close interaction between the two institutions, involving the exchange of curricula, faculty and students.
- Conference: "From Classroom to Public Campaign" an all India conference hosted by Mediaworld
- "Xcell" XIC Newsletter released
- Online: XIC linked by email and Internet.
- Online: www.xaviercomm.org XIC web-site launched
- ‘Century of Fantasy’ - XIC Festival
- "In Search of Excellence" - a Staff development programme
- Best Student Award - PR, instituted by Procter & Gamble (I) Ltd
- Best Student Award - Journalism, instituted by P & G Ltd
THE FOURTH DECADE (2001 - 2010)
- Workshop: "Sheep In The Big City" Maurics (Mo) Willems, creator / writer / director, Cartoon Network, for Digital Media students
- Resource Kit: "Sahajeevan Shikshan" on Sexuality Education for Disadvantaged Children and Adolescents (Hindi)
- Resource Kit: "Vikas Kaushalyancha" on Skills Development for Rural Non-Formal Education" (Marathi), Producer, ASTHA-AXIS
- ‘Xpress’ Placement Service, launched
- Zain Verjee, Anchor, CNN, "Q & A South Asia" - addressed the students.
- Inaugurated 2nd Computer Lab with ten computers
- Advertising Campaign: Anti terrorism drive on the wake of the 9/11 U.S tragedy, Advertising & Marketing students
- Award to: Teesta Setalvad , Editor, ‘Communalism Combat’, Journalist and Peace Activist - the Fr. Parmananda Divarkar ‘Communication for Peace’ Award. Chief Guest, Cardinal Simon Pimenta
- Inaugurated: Cardinal Gracias Media Resource Centre, Elizabeth C. Braganza. Former Librarian - XIC
- Online: Telexic, Distance education. First module on News Reporting
- Workshop: "Soft skills in Human Relations" by Fr. Gordon Daniells SJ., for Corporate Houses
- Inaugurated: Film & Television Studio with state-of-the-art equipment by Fr. Myron. J. Pereira SJ, Director
- Talk: "Success in Business can be corruption-free" by Sir Gulam Noon, MBE, Queen Elizabeth II had knighted Mr. Noon for his services to England in commerce and industry
- Workshop: First cartooning workshop by Suresh Sawant, India-Editor of Witty World International Cartoon Centre
- All departments in the Institute were air-conditioned
- Consultation: "Media and Communal Conflict" with Sabrang to develop a Charter Alert for Media Personnel covering communal conflict
- Award: to Anand Patwardhan, Mumbai-based renowned activist, environmentalist, journalist and film maker, the Fr.Parmananda Divarkar Memorial Award "Communication for Peace". Chief Guest, Mr. Julio F. Ribeiro, IPS (Retd.), Ex-Commissioner of Police, Mumbai
- Competition: Peace In Our Time - on Cartooning
- First Student Directory was printed and distributed at the 33rd Annual Convocation
- " Conversational English" - classes begin - for XIC support staff
- Seminar: "Make Your Career in the Media" - a career awareness program by the Bombay Catholic Sabha on Career and Job opportunities, Fr. Myron addressed groups of Catholics in 3 areas of north Bombay
- Inauguration: XIC Gardens by Fr. Rudolf Heredia SJ, Rector
- Workshop: First Announcing Broadcasting Comparing and Dubbing in Marathi (ABCD)
- Fr. Francis Xavier (Packy) Mcfarland SJ, founder of XIC passed away at Fordham, New York. Memorial service at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai on 13th Sept. 2003
- Seminar: The Digital World - here and now : technology, society
- Seminar: "Innovation & Creative Solving" by Goodwin Vaz- International Consultant
- Workshop: "On Understanding our Students" for faculty and staff
- Ms Jane Swamy appointed Dean of Studies
- Inaugurated: Computer Lab extension by Fr. Joseph M. Carsi SJ
- Inaugurated: Library Documentation Room, 1st floor - by Ms Jane Swamy
- "Free Education" (Nursery 1 to 10 std) for children of XIC staff - Management Relief Fund
- Advanced Diploma in Advertising, Marketing & Communication (weekend program) begins
- Workshop: BMM Studies Educators Advanced skills
- Workshop: Time Management for staff by Vivienne D’Souza, HRD Consultant
- "Social Marketing Strategies" lecture by the Indian Association for Promotion of Adoption
- Seminar: "Pluralism and Democracy in Bollywood" on how Hindi Cinema looks at Indian Communities
- Symposium: "Make Communication Your Career" motivating students to pursue a career in mass media, sponsored by Citizen Credit Co-op. Bank, at St. Andrews Auditorium, Bandra
- Inaugurated: XIC Premises at St. Xavier’s High School Campus. by Prof. J.B. Mistry.
- Signed: Memorandum of Understanding with Deakin University of Australia.
- Workshop: "Global Media & Public Relations" by Profs. Grant Roff & Chris Hudson, of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia
- Workshop: "BMM Teacher Training" for English Dept lecturers of colleges
- Inaugurated: "32-Track and 16-Track Sound Studios" at the XIC School Campus
- Inaugurated: "Radio Lives" Communication Research Monographs Series inaugurated by Nerita Baptista, Smita Nair and Charlene Rodrigues, journalism students - released by Vijaya Laxmi Chhabra, Director, Marketing, Prasar Bharati (Doordarshan)
- *First Meeting on the International Standard Organization (ISO) certification for Evaluation of the Teaching System at XIC. Major General Ivan D’Cunha organized the programme
- Talk: "Multiculture as a vision for Equity and Social Justice" by Dr. Paul C. Gorski, Graduate School of Education, USA
- Talk: "Convergence, blogs and new media" by Prof. Stephen Quinn, Faculty of Arts, Deakin University
- Workshop: Film Documentary by Prof. Simon Wilmot, Deakin University, for Film and Video Production Students
- Alumni: First Alumni Meeting - Bangalore
- XPress organizes "Job Fair" - 95% students recruited through Mrs. Norma Rego, Manager, Finance and Administration
- Creative Writing Monographs: v.1 by journalism students 2004-06, released by Eunice de D’Souza, poet, editor and columnist
- Online: First Entrance Test for admissions to the academic year 2007- 08, at Attest Testing Centres all over India
- XIC and Toonskool Advanced Animation Academy, Bangalore, to conduct a one year diploma course in animation from June 2007
- Workshop: Technical Writing, a 3-month course by LionBridge / XIC
- *Global Connection: Between XIC and several foreign universities for exchange of ideas, systems, faculty and students. Deakin University, Melbourne . Jiao tong University’s School of Media and Design ( Shanghai ); Bristol School of Art and Design at the University of West England , and the University of Hertforshire ,UK
- Fr. Myron J. Pereira, Director of XIC, visited China as the leader of a delegation of journalism and communication schools of Indian Universities
- *Video Conference: On 3rd October the first video conferencing between faculty of XIC and faculty of St. Xavier's College, Kolkata took place: Theme: "Today's cyber culture and its consequences", followed by "Intellectual Property Rights / Ethical Copy Rights" on 20 Dec 2007, and "Bringing IT/ Internet Usage by Media students under a Scanner" on 21 Feb 2008
- Online: The XIC Alumni Directory at www.xxic.org came live on 10 January 2008 . Alumni registered themselves by using the Online XIC Alumni Directory Search
- Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ., Former Principal, St. Stanislaus School, Bandra, joins XIC as Associate Director
- Workshop: ‘Convergence and Connectivity’, for faculty and senior staff officials held on June 28. 2008 was two fold: practical, viz. to take stock of systems and processes related to professional training in the media, and interaction on how to keep pace with today’s technology
- The website www.xxic.org for alumni was launched.
- UTV held Film Festival of World Cinema at XIC
- Shemaroo Movies hosted a festival of world films at XIC.
- Faculty Dinner: Fr. Myron announces his retirement and the appointment of Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ, new Director of XIC from June 1, 2009.
- 39th Annual Convocation was held on 24 April, The Chief Guest was Mr. Tom Alter, actor, writer, sports journalist.
- Certificates of appreciation were given on Convocation Day, to the longest serving members of the institution by the director Fr. Myron J. Pereira: Jane Swamy, Jehangir Patel and Vikas Desai (faculty), and Ashok Bane, Prabhakar Gurav, Nizam Pathan, Mohan Gangurde, Jeanne DeSa and Nivedita Bobade (staff).
- A Special award - the Revathy Gopal Creative Writing - was conferred on two alumni Maryann Lobo D’Mello(JR 84) & Ranjit Lal (JR 79), who distinguished themselves in creative writing. They both received a citation & prize money of Rs. 25,000/- each.
- On-line Admission Tests were held in six locations: Mumbai, Delhi, Goa, Kolkata, Ranchi, Ahmedabad and Pune.
- A Farewell was held for Fr. Myron J. Pereira SJ, former director, who retired on May 31, 2009
- On June 1, 2009 Fr. Lawrie Ferrao SJ, took over as new Director of XIC
- Orientation Program ( 1-3 July) Theme: Ready to Communicate Creatively?
- Fr. Anthony J. D’Souza SJ, Provincial of the Jesuit Bombay Province met with XIC Staff in an informal meeting.
- XIC received ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ from Deakin University for cooperation in delivering effective partnership in India.
- Teachers Day was celebrated in the institute for Staff and Course Coordinators.
- "Fleeting Moments" a photography exhibition by the JR 09-10 was held at NCPA. Bhavya Desai (JR 04), Editor, Asian Photography was the Chief Guest.
- United States- India Educational Foundation, Fulbright Scholar Dr. Jyotsna Kapur (Ex-Staff ASTHA) presented a lecture titled: Childhood’s End or a New beginning
- Former faculty & staff, the present faculty, staff and alumni, were invited to the ‘XIC - 40 Saal Baad’ dinner celebrations.
- Christmas Eve function was organized by the staff.
- Digital Animation Convocation was held on Jan 9, 2010
- In Jan, 'XIC Awards Nite' was organised by the PR students of the 09-10 batch. At the function, students, management, faculty and staff were recognised for their abilities and presented with tokens of appreciation under various categories.
- A lecture cum Exhibition on Photography by well known Brazilian Photographers - Orlando Azevedo and Vilma Slomp organised by the Consulate General of Brazil, in Mumbai, was held at XIC for the benefit of XIC photography students.
- XIC received the Dainik Bhaskar B-School Leadership Award for its innovative, modern and industry related curriculum in advertising. Fr. Lawrie Ferrao, Director - XIC received the award at an awards ceremony held on February 12, 2010, at Taj Lands End, Mumbai.
- Presiding at the 40th Annual Convocation were Chief Guest Mr. Joseph St. Anne, Producer - Director Multi-media, and Guest of Honour Mr. M.M. Somaya, Gen Mg, Brand & Public Relations - Bharat Petroleum.
- For the first time, students dressed in the traditional convocation robe to receive their diplomas. Every student was presented a CD on the activities of the institute, and the projects undertaken by them during the academic year 2009-10.
- In April, Alumni were offered membership to the facilities available at the Media Resource Centre (MRC).
THE FIRST DECADE (2011 - 2020)
- Visitors: Faculty & Staff of Salisbury University, USA.
- Workshop: Building Service Excellence for staff.
- Event: 'Xuberance in Colours' by Public Relations Students
- Award: Pratibimb 2011 Film, Television and Video Production Course won 2 awards at the 4th National Level Short Film and Documentary Festival (Pratibimb 2011), Ahmedabad. The two films were: 'City that Never Sleeps' - 1st Prize and 'Me & Me' - 3rd Prize.
- Awards: 5th INDY'S for Best B-school with Academic input syllabus in Mass Communication.
- Award: STAR NEWS - National B-School in recognition of its Industry Related Curriculum in Advertising.
- Seminar: Job V/s Passion,
- Convocation: academic year 2010-2011.
- Ranking: The Outlook India Magazine published Xavier Institute of Communications as the Number 1 Institute among the Top 10 Mass Communication Institutes in the country.
- Inauguration: XIC its centre LIFE (Livens Institute of Film and Electronic Media) at Ranchi for conducting the FTVP Course.
- Orientation: Programme 2011-12 Theme "Comfort the disturbed; enlighten the comfortable. The Chief speaker was Mr. M.K. Anand, CEO, UTV Broadcasting & Interactive.
- Visitors: Members of Communication Dept. of Tamil Nadu Seminary.
- Event: JESCOM hosted by XIC at Mumbai.
- Photography Exhibition: by JR Electives Students in the XIC Library.
- Visitors: members from Dundee University.
- The Indo Global Education summit at Delhi.
- Visitors: members of Deakin University, Australia.
- Panel Discussion: organized with the MSL Group, their Indian Partners (20:20 Media &Hanmer P.R.) and their Client (Dell).
- Workshop: The Police Panchayat team, Ms. Indu Agarwal and Julian Hollick conducted with XIC students.
- Event: Alumni, Faculty and Staff Meet.
- Workshop: for Course Heads and Office Assistants by Prof. J. B. Mistry
- Visitors: Students from Lievens, Ranchi visited XIC to complete their SFF2 Module.
- Visitors: by members of Indo Vietnam group.
- Event: MADMA, 2 day Fest, Going Viral- organized by the Advertising & Marketing Students, participated by students from various colleges across Mumbai and Pune.
- Magazine launch: LOUPE by Journalism Students, Ms. NandiniSardesai was one of the main speakers.
- Award: XIC awarded Indy's Award for the Best Academic Input Syllabus in Mass Communication.
- Award: XIC awarded Bloomberg UTV B-School Excellence Awards for the Best Industry Related Curriculum in Communication.
- Event: Magnum Opus organized by Public Relations Students.
- Workshop: A fire fighting for XIC staff taken by Ms. Lehray.
- New Course: Commencement of the New DJ & EMP Course.
- Convocation: for the Academic year 2011-2012, Chief Guest was Carol Andrade, Editor, The Afternoon Dispatch and Courier, and Guest of Honor was Agnello Dias, Chairman & Co-Founder, TapRoot India, Mumbai.
- Collaboration: Fr.LawrieFerrao, SJ Director visited foreign University for possible collaboration and student exchange programme., Simon Frazer University, Santa Clara University, Salisbury University.
- Ranking: June 2012 :The OUTLOOK INDIA Magazine rated XIC No. 2 Media Institute among Mass Communication Institutes in our country.
- Appointment: June 2012 : Prof. J. B. Mistry was inducted as an Acting Deanof XIC and Dr. Fr. Anthony Dias, SJ was inducted as a member of the Board of Director of XIC
- Collaboration: June 2012 : Unicef& XIC partnered in creating a programme with its aim of empowering adolescent girls and boys to play an active role in the process of collecting, reporting, analyzing and disseminating news pertaining to child rights and related social issues.
- Award: June 30, 2012 : XIC was conferred with ABP News Award for the Industry Related Curriculum in Communications.
- Orientation Programme: July 2 and 3, 2012 :, the Theme wasTransformers - Be the Change, Key Speaker wasMr. Josy Paul, Chairman and National Creative Director, BBDO India, Alumnus and Faculty Member of Advtg. & Mktg. Communication.
- Visitors: July 23, 2012: Visit of Provincial, Fr. Vernon D’Cunha at XIC.
- Workshop: July 2012: A one – day by Unicef was held for all XIC courses on Child Rights issues.
- Photography Exhibition: October 4 : by the Elective Group of Journalism Students. Module Co-ordinator – Ms. Usha Kris. The Chief Guest was Mr. HemantChabbra.
- Book Launch: October 11 - XIC organized the "Daddy’s Logic” a book by written by one of our Alumnus, Anthony Rose.
- A library Committee: October 17 - Library committee Consisting of 6 members was formed, following are the Members : Dr.J.B.Mistry, Satish Bhatia, Vinod Srivastava, Atul Thakur, Margaret da Costa, SarojMerani alongwith the Librarian, Ms. AparnaBhagwe and her Asst. NayanaKarvir.
- Award: Nov. 23 – "Amar Ujala B School Excellence was conferred on XIC for its Industry related Curriculum in Advertising.
- Alumni Faculty Meet: Nov. 24 –was celebrated in the XIC Woods. Senior Alumni and long term Faculty Members at XIC were felicitated.
- Award: Dec.10 – XIC-Lievens Institute won the National Film Festival Award for their documentary titled "Black Flame" conducted by Loyola Academy, Secunderabad. The Film was directed by students, Sanjay Surin and co-directed by Arvind Hans SJ, Akash Srivastava, and Rajesh Ekka.
- Film Festival: XIC and Unicef held at XIC, on December 15, 2012. Awards and Participation Certificates given to students of various colleges who participated in the Short Film Competition.XIC MCM students were awarded the 2ndprize for their documentary film "Hazar."
- Award: Two films produced by our FT students films, "Face It" and "the Allograph" won gold and silver medals respectively in the COFFI -Short Films Contest 2012 on December 18, 2012.
- Event: Jan. 10, 2013 – Daily News and Analysis newspaper (DNA) conducted a debate in our Institute on a topic Social media must be regulated unless the youth use it responsibly.
- Award: February 1, 2013. Mass Communication Marathi Students, B. N. Purandare and N. K. Bhagwat won the 1st and 2nd prize respectively for the Elocution Competition held by Marathi VangmayMandal (MVM) of St. Xavier’s College.
- Award: Indy's Award for Best B-School Professor who teaches Mass Communication was given to Ms. Asha Sandilya, Course Head of Journalism on February 14, 2013.
- Prayer Meeting: was held in memory of our Alumnus, VivekSamta, PR Batch 2010-11 on Saturday Feb.16, 2013. He passed away suddenly after a massive heart attack.
- Event: Flash Mob organized by PR students in the Woods as part of their event, ISTORIA.
- Event: March 3, 2013 The PR Annual event ISTORIA-inter collegiate media festival was held and organized by the PR students.
- Seminar: March 8, 2013 : Jobs v/s Passion, a panel discussion gave out PR students much food for thought.
- Award: February 18, 2013 :PRATIBIMB 6th National Level Short Film &Documentary Festival, Ahmednagar bestowed following prizes on XIC-FT Students Documentary Films.
- a. Second Prize for its Short Film Documentary "The Allograph"
- b. First prize for its Short Film "Abodh"
- c. Consolation Prize for its Documentary Film "TreetiyaPanthi"
- d. First Prize for its Documentary Film "Face it"
- Award: "Face It” has also bagged a Certificate of Participation for the Best Documentary Film at Bhopal International Film Festival 2013.
- Tabloid launch: March 22, 2013 : The JR students launch their tabloid ‘Prism Culture & Prism Sports’ in our School Campus.
- Award: Feb 2013 ”Abodh” Fiction Film by FT 2011-12 bagged second position in Cynosure 2013 organized by St. Xavier’s College, Ranchi.